Frequently Asked Questions - What Is A CPA?

Certified Public Accountants are licensed by each individual state to provide accounting, auditing, and tax services to the general public. They must pass the uniform CPA exam and have experience in public accounting in order to be certified. They must also meet continuing professional education requirements in order to retain their license. CPAs are authorized to represent taxpayers before the IRS. Some CPAs specialize in taxes and others do not. CPAs may work in an accounting firm or may have their own individual practice. Certified Public Accountants do not need to obtain a PTIN unless they prepare for compensation all or substantially all of a federal tax return or claim for refund.

Back To PTIN Search

Tax Preparer Continuing Education

RTRPs are required to complete 15 hours of tax education each year including 2 hours of ethics, 3 hours of federal tax updates, and 10 hours of federal tax law. CPE4RTRP offers an IRS approved self-study 15-hour CE package that meets all the requirements.
Order Now!

Need Help Passing the IRS Exam?

RTRPs need to pass the new IRS Registered Tax Return Preparer examination by December 31, 2013. CPE4RTRP can help you prepare! The Ultimate RTRP Value Bundle helps you prepare for the Tax Return Preparer Competency Exam--with powerful resources from Wiley and Tax Mama--PLUS you get 15 hours of required CE.
Order Now!

Untitled Document